Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Defining style.

As I organize Pinterest boards and decorate my home, I find myself being drawn to things that I wouldn’t have expected before. I’ve always chalked my design style up to “vintage chic.” However, I’m now finding this inevitably needs mixed into a combination of: simplistic, industrial, and natural elements.

When I envision my dream home, I see:

A Mixture of Neutrals...



 with this specific blanket...
 pops of color...
 using a variety of patterns...
 good, industrial lighting...
 adding in raw, wood elements...
 a plethora of mason jars...
 a collection of book crafts...
 birch votives...
 remnants of nature...

 gold painted everythings...
 frames maps...
 hints of retro-floral fabrics...
 a lot of green things...

 an atrocious amount of chalkboards...
 mercury glass...
 finished off with fresh, green wreaths...


I was pleasantly surprise to find that all of these elements are very doable. Not only budget-wise (nature is free and thrifted books are $1), but things that I can make on my own (bring in the paintbrushes and glue guns).

Do not cut yourself out of a “dream home”, because maybe with a little elbow grease and ingenuity, you can make your home the place that you imagine it to be. 

Putting together a pallet of clips, pics, and colors helps to define a plan, a system for pulling the elements in your mind together. Once you’ve decided on that, you can look for DIY tips or more affordable versions of what you love. Keep in mind, it doesn’t have to happen overnight. The process is what makes the product so enjoyable after. Target one aspect of your list and make it happen. When that’s done, move on to the next or as you can afford it.

I can’t wait to spend free time on decorating while some may find that crazy. But I think that all, on whatever level of “decorating desire”, can personally own their home and make it a haven. There are more important things in life than Pinterest and thrift stores, but I urge you to let loose on your home and have fun with it in your spare time. Don’t feel confined or limited to your space—be creative and make it a place that you love, feel comfortable in, and want to invite others in to.

(You can find all of these pictures on my Pinterest at the link above)

What do you envision your home to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment