Friday, October 4, 2013

Undeserved provision.



This past Sunday while visiting at our Pastor’s house, amidst the laughs and stories, we had the precious opportunity to reflect on the blessings that God has given us through time. After that discussion, I walked away marveling at God’s grace towards us, how He continually provides even when He seems like he won’t, and feeling overwhelmed by His love and concern for me, a very sinful person. I prefer to say, “God’s undeserved provision” for varying needs, because that is in the most general, but truest sense, what a blessing is.

Our Works of God journal has stacked up with the countless ways that He has provided for us through the years. Varying from seemingly small things like a gift of 40 ears of corn to freeze for winter to filling up the car with a tank of gas when we had no money to do so ourselves to witnessing my Grandma accept Christ as her Savior after countless years of praying. Whatever the scenario, God has always utilized people and circumstances, most times the most unlikely people and circumstances, to show His love towards us, and ultimately His glory. 


These acts of God, His intimate working in our lives, are so needed yet so undeserved. While God is actively playing a vital role in our lives, our tendency, or at least mine, is to give a sliver of my life to Him in return. To top it off, I am born a sinner, with flesh that hates what God loves, and a desire for self rather than Him. As a believer, this tends to be the low point of spiritual roller-coaster ride of life with spikes of spiritual peaks and intimacy with God, the goal always being to even out the rails into a more balanced, consistent relationship with Him. Nonetheless, no matter my human efforts, I am undeserving of His grace on my life. And then, the precious Gospel: Christ took the punishment for my sin so that I may experience an ever-growing relationship with God and His provision throughout life in order to give Him glory. How humbling to think of God’s endless history of grace on our lives. And as a believer, that is what I should be: one that is continually humbled through the daily recognition of God’s working in my life, and giving Him all praise and honor for the entirety of who He is. 

I have been convicted of not thinking on His marvelous works day to day, and not just the works in my life, but also in others. Not only are these thoughts humbling, but they also give me the right perspective of God, and encourage me through the rough spots in life—knowing and trusting the fact that as surely as God provided in the past, He will provide again; in His way, in His perfect timing, for my benefit, and His glory. 

I’m ending this post with lyrics from one of my favorite songs, “10,000 Reasons” by Matt Redman—in reading the lyrics, I think you’ll understand why. If you haven’t heard this already click here to see his video. I also recommend giving a listen to Rend Collective’s beautiful version of this song. 

"Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I’ll worship Your holy name

The sun comes up, it’s a new day dawning
It’s time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

You’re rich in love, and You’re slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore”

No comments:

Post a Comment