Tuesday, February 4, 2014

DIY: Light Box.


As a blogger, you find yourself taking lots of pictures--anything that you can blog about needs a good shot to go with it. I don't have the best camera out there, so I try to use good lighting and location to my advantage. Still, I don't prefer our speckled counter tops or tacky wood grain furniture to feature my latest creations for the blog. So I pursued other options, and there are many: fabric/paper backdrops hung from the ceiling, a unique surface like a wood cutting board, or just the all-natural.



I've always enjoyed those clean white pictures that showcase one item, without the distraction of surroundings. Not to mention the fake lighting is hard to beat. However, I certainly can't afford to buy a professional "light box," so I made my own from typical household materials. If you enjoy photography of any kind--this is for you.

Side-note on the Supplies:

What you need to complete this project are typical household items, perhaps save the posterboard--but a quick trip to the dollar store and you're set. 

The cardboard box can be any size--I've seen shoe boxes used to create a teensy tiny light box all the way up to the biggest box you can ship. If you want to go any larger, I recommend making side panels instead of a box to create a life size scene. When it comes to deciding on size, it depends on what you wish to photograph--unless it's miniature, it can't hurt to go big.

Tissue paper or thin white fabric can be substituted for wax paper, although I found wax paper to be the easiest to work with.

I recommend using two lamps on either side, it could be a bare bulb on a table lamp or a clip-on like mine. Whatever you have nearest to you.

Painting the box, or covering in white fabric is purely optional, I haven't gotten around to painting mine yet--but it's only for aesthetic reasons. 

How to Make your Light Box:

#1. Make sure that the bottom of your box is secured, if not tape it. Then with your utility knife, cut off the flaps on the top of the box like so.


#2. With your utility knife still in hand, cut 3 squares from the middle-top sections of the box. You can measure this out if you wish, but I eyeballed it and it turned out just fine--the sides won't show in your pictures, they only exist to let light in.


#3. Measure out your wax paper to cover each square. I had to tape 2 pieces together to cover one square. Using the clear packing tape won't compromise the transparent sides.


#4. Place your wax paper panels over each window, securing them with tape as you go. Don't skimp on the tape, use one long strip for each side to fasten securely.



 

#5. After all of the panels are on your windows, cut your posterboard to fit snugly inside your box. The top of the board will fit into the top-back corners, and you can let the end drape over the outside edge.


The posterboard should be slightly curved in the center, not creased. This will give a clean background for your pictures. Mine is slightly exaggerated so that you can see, it doesn't have to be curved that much--you still need to be able to sit an object inside the box.


#6.Turn on your lamps, place on either side and start snapping pictures. I only have the one lamp so during the day I set the box on top of a well-lit desk to add better lighting.


Experiment with the light box. 

You can use a heavy black paper to block light from certain angles.


You can hang things from the top.


 You can drape other backgrounds over the white board. 



 What can you create with your light box?




No comments:

Post a Comment