Monday, February 10, 2014

DIY Wedding #3: the Wedding Party.


To define the wedding party, it's a combination of those people that are nearest to you, the best friends, sisters, and college roomies. They are the people that you know will keep you accountable in your marriage, the ones who will smile just as much as you--because you mean as much to them as they do to you, and those who, even if you haven't known since diapers, feel as though you do.



They are those who you just can't say "I do" without.

To put it lightly, these are some special people that you are about to ask to partake in your big day. My personal goal, was to honor that special relationship. Instead of sending cards, that can be funny but also inwardly state, "will you be my personal slave for the next 6 months," I wanted to make my girls feel special and honored. That's why I chose them--I hired other connections to help with the workload.

On that note, bridesmaids want to help--especially that matron of honor that can't get enough of late nights DIY'ing, consoling, and planning over laughs and coffee. But, I wanted to remember that they have their own lives to lead--my wedding isn't their top priority (especially when two are getting married within two months of your own). So, I chose to ask each one to help with one area that they are especially good at, except for the Matron of Honor, like I said, she's a glutton for punishment.



Jacqueline made a design for our invitations, Tiff painted my thumb-print, guestbook canvas, Lisa helped with gluing pennant flags, and so on and so forth.





Rather than piling on the lists and demands, I loved having each friend contribute in their own special way (all things which are now decor and memoirs in my home).

Now, after that rabbit trail--back to the beginning.

Who should you ask and how should you ask them?

When it comes to who to ask--it shouldn't be much of a struggle. You probably already know who you plan to ask just from imaginary wedding planning in your head. But there is always the issue of even numbers, included siblings, and far-away friends that throw a wrench in the works. These are all things that you personally need to assess-each situation is different. However, word to the wise, pick people that you truly love and can't imagine doing your wedding without--not just people to make the numbers add up. These will be the girls that will be partying with you the night before and getting ready with you the morning of. Whether it's two or six, you shouldn't have to sweat  over your choices. If you want to include younger siblings without lengthening the bridesmaids or groomsmen, consider the option of Jr. Bridesmaids or flower girls and ring bearers.

How you should ask--is the fun part. I found that this portion relates purely to the girls, in most cases. My husband called up his guys and that was that. But girls like to be a bit more creative. There are tons of ideas out there, and I suppose it's based on how much time you have to spare.

1) Face-to-face. This could be a fun way to get together with your girls, see their reaction when you ask, and chat over weddings things like dresses and makeup. Plan a get-together over brunch, dinner, or coffee and in the midst of the laughter pose your question in your own personal way. You can still opt for cards or small gifts to give out during that time.


2) A thoughtful card. If my girls lived closer, I would have gone with the first option, however, all but one were at the time, long distance. If you find yourself in this situation or having a hard time scheduling a get-together with everyone, one of your options is to send a card. Sending a card doesn't have to be impersonal--plus, it can save you a lot of time and money, especially if you make them your own. Make sure to write something special inside to each one, and look forward to hearing back from your chickas. Click on any of these pictures to find out more about each card!


http://baysidebride.com/2012/03/diy-will-you-be-my-bridesmaid-cards/
(This would be cute with a strip of fabric, too!)
http://rusticweddingchic.com/sugar-paper-j-crew-wedding-stationery

http://hukkster.com/hukk/signup/cmLSQBNL7C?source=Pinterest&medium=HardPin&campaign=type12&m=HardPin&utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=HardPin&utm_campaign=type12&utm_content=1132

http://hukkster.com/hukk/signup/cmLSQBNL7C?source=Pinterest&medium=HardPin&campaign=type12&m=HardPin&utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=HardPin&utm_campaign=type12&utm_content=1132

3) A package. This was my option--I had been eying up the "bridesmaid's boxes" online and determined to do it myself on a budget. Pinterest is crawling with creativity, just type in "bridesmaid box" and hundreds of ideas will arrive at your fingertips. Here are a few neato links that I found--so fun and simple.

http://www.stylemepretty.com/2014/01/24/diy-bridesmaid-ask-gift/


http://yellowheartart.blogspot.com/2013/10/he-asked-me-so-i-asked-them-they-said.html

http://confetticreek.tumblr.com/post/21463277696/what-an-awesome-idea-for-a-wedding-invitationhttp://www.for-girls-only.com/post/75605169563/adorable-affordable-way-to-propose-to-your


The box that I was eying up when I was preparing to ask my girls is shown below. However, I couldn't afford to buy 8 wooden boxes, spend the time painting, and do everything that I wanted to do for the Bridesmaid Brunch before the wedding.

http://www.rinserepeatblog.com/2011/07/askin-my-maids.html


So I improvised and came up with something like this:

I used paper boxes, mod-podged book pages onto it--and glued poofy, mint fabric to the bottom.
Each girl got their own matching planner (they go on clearance right after the New Year) filled with the information they would need to know in coming to the wedding. This included: important addresses and phone numbers, dates and times. I sent out a more detailed packet of information a month before the wedding, once things were solidified and they were making plans to travel.
Each box included: 1) Personalized, book-page box 2) Book-page girl chain--with names of who was in the party and what role 3) Planner with important dates & information 4) A copy of our Save the Date 5) Photo cards of dresses & shoes to show guidelines of what to look for when shopping 6) Paint chips of the color scheme as well as a tag to verbally describe what girls should dress like 7) Photos to depict the theme and style of our wedding so everyone could be in the loop.

Hope that all of this inspires you as you plan to ask your bridesmaids! Comment below to share your stories and ideas of how you asked or plan to--I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Next week, I'll share more about dressing your wedding party--be sure to check back next Monday!




No comments:

Post a Comment